Are you a birth worker, birth activist, doula, midwife or mother wanting to really understand the layers within our modern maternity system, and create real, sustainable and compassionate change?
Have you experienced the maternity system as a birth worker or consumer and believed there was a better way? Faced with problems of unbending policy, devalued motherhood and a broken, fragmented system of maternity care that leaves women fearful and lacking in confidence it can be easy to wonder are you alone in your experience? and what will it take to create real, sustainable change for women and their families?
Travel through these 3 modules and engage in meaningful dialogue, where you will gain the tools you need to be an agent of change.
With Video interviews from a range of prominent birth workers including Jane Hardwicke-Collings, Sheryl Sidery, Dr Stuart Fishbein and others, you will be guided through a study booklet, and led in group discussion via our private facebook group. You will complete tasks that give you the tools and resources to understand what needs to change and how you can change it.
Women: In this module you will explore the place of women within the western maternity system, and the impact of our societal views on women transitioning through pregnancy, birth and into motherhood.
The Maternity System: In this module You will examine the structure of the maternity system, the use of doulas in this space and compare birth within and outside the maternity system.
Choice: In this module you will be introduced to a range of women and situations where choices or access in birthing are limited, or may not be welcoming. We look at policies and procedures, sexual assault in birth and victims of sexual assault giving birth, how the system structure limits choices and at women from diverse communities with their own unique differences.
This course is available for you to study at your own pace*, with ongoing discussion and questions accessed in the private facebook
Each student will be given:
- Access to the online course, with a range of videos, articles and dialogue to expand on each thought.
- In-course comments for you to engage with other students and discuss the learning material directly
- Your own workbook with questions, activities and challenges to take this from an amazing discussion to a life changing challenge creating real change in your own local community.
- Instant access to a private facebook group where you can engage in a deeper discussion safely, among peers.
- 24/7 email access to the instructors, follow up, ask questions and gain direction in your next task or activity.
- The information and tools have been looking fro to change the maternity world.
These 3 modules explore the themes of feminism, patriarchy, paternalism, autonomy and agency in relation to women in the maternity system. We explore the power dynamics and policy within the maternity system, terms such as ‘culture of blame’ and’ horizontal violence’ and explore ways to affect change in the maternity system.
This course gives you the information you fundamentally need to create change in a way that puts respectful, women centred maternity care at the centre.
* please note, if you are paying with extended payment plan, you will receive partial access to the course, with full access by 3 months.
Jacki is a highly qualified, experienced and respected birth professional with a passion for natural births. She has almost 20 years experience as a midwife in a variety of settings including hospitals and home births. She now operates her own successful doula business, www.lovecherub.com.
- Mother of 2 adult children.
- Studied Arts and Psychology in the UK at Open University and Birkbeck College, University of London.
- Studied Midwifery at EIHMS, University of Surrey, Guildford UK.
- Worked as a midwife at East Surrey Hospital, Guildford Hospital, Mona Vale Hospital and Manly Hospital.
- Trained in waterbirth Crowborough Birth Centre East Sussex UK.
- Trained in reflexology for midwives.
- Trained HypnoBirthing Practitioner Marie Mongan’s Method.
- Team Leader Midwife at Manly Hospital.
- On the Steering Committee for the NSW state directive ‘Towards Normal Birth’ while at Manly.
- Worked with Independent Midwife Sheryl Sidery as a second midwife for home births in Sydney.
- Successful full time doula and business owner for over 3 years attending between 40 to 50 births per year.
- Co-Director and Founder of We Birth: Advanced Education and Training for Doulas and Birth Workers.
Jennifer Hazi is a mother of 5, an experienced Midwife, Doula and Childbirth educator with over a decade of experience in birthing. She is passionate about working with women and their families as they transition into parenthood and has a keen interest in women’s experiences of pregnancy and mothering.
Jen started her journey into working with childbearing women and their families as a doula and facilitator of women's antenatal space.
Her passion for learning and excitement about working with women in this environment lead her to complete a Bachelor of Midwifery at the University of Technology, Sydney enabling her to care clinically for women and their babies.
- Registered Midwife working in a large tertiary referral hospital.
- Qualified Doula with over 10 years experience.
- Qualified Childbirth Educator working with families in the Eastern Suburbs Sydney and online. www.jenniferhazi.com
- Postgraduate studies in reproductive and sexual health.
- Studied reflexology for childbirth
- Certified in neuroprotective infant settling.
- Certified in group facilitation and education skills.
- Co-Director of We Birth: Advanced training for Doulas and Birth Workers.